4.03.2009

Rhubarb-Strawberry Cobbler with Cinnamon & Cardamom



I really have only one memory of rhubarb and it is of eating a rhubarb pie as a child. I believe my mom used to grow it in her garden and would make a pie with it each year. Or perhaps it was only one year—it is a faint memory. Funny though, because I do remember exactly what it tastes like. Rhubarb has such a distinct flavor, one that could not be substituted with the same results.



And while I’m not much of a pie person these days (rolling out the dough is just NOT for me!), this Cobbler recipe from Bon Appétit was calling my name. It is sweet, slightly tart, juicy and has a wonderful crumble crunch, thanks to the almonds. This is a new rhubarb memory I will not soon be forgetting.



Rhubarb-Strawberry Cobbler with Cinnamon & Cardamom
adpated from Bon Appétit . serves 6

Topping
1/2 c old-fashioned oats
1/2 c all purpose flour
1/2 c packed golden brown sugar
1/3 c sliced almonds
1/4 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t salt
6 T butter, melted

Filling
5 c fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2" slices (2 lbs)
2 c halved strawberries
3/4 c sugar
1/3 c fresh squeezed orange juice
2 T all purpose flour
zest of one orange
1/2 t ground cardamom
1/4 t ground cinnamon



For topping: In medium bowl, mix together oats, flour, sugar, almonds, cinnnamon and salt. Add butter, stirring well, until clumps form.

For filling: Preheat oven to 375F. In large bowl, combine all ingredients, stirring to combine. Let stand 15 minutes, until juices form.

Pour filling into a 9” x 12” casserole dish. Sprinkle topping evenly over mixture. Bake 45 minutes, until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbling thickly around edges. Serve warm.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Beautiful photos! I can't wait until rhubarb is back in season.