5.30.2009

Simple Tortellini & Spinach Soup



This is my new favorite soup for nights when I am feeling tired, uninspired or lazy. So, you know, about once a week. It combines fresh vegis with frozen tortellini in just a few simple steps. While I usually stop making soups in the warmer weather, this soup takes under 10 minutes on the stove. Perfect for the days your AC is cranking! As the season’s change, try various greens such as kale or swiss chard in place of the spinach.



Simple Tortellini & Spinach Soup
adapted from Gourmet . serves 4


2 T olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, minced

4 c vegetable broth

2 c water

1/2 t salt

1/2 t pepper

1/3 c grated parmesan cheese (plus more for garnish)

1 handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 c coarsely chopped fresh baby spinach
2 bags frozen cheese tortellini (apx 25 oz)


In a large pot, heat oil on medium-high and add garlic. Stir 2 minutes until golden brown. Add vegetable broth, water, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Stir in parmesan cheese, basil, spinach and tortellini. Cook 5-8 minutes, until tortellini is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and transfer to individual serving bowls. Top with a drizzle of olive oil and grated parmesan cheese.

17 comments:

Dana said...

I need a few more of these type recipes in my repetoire. Love the look of this!

Lucy C said...

This looks so good. i'm always on the hunt for quick and easy suppers and this definitely fits the bill. Thanks for sharing.

MsGourmet said...

It's freezing in Melbourne & I always have a tonne of frozen tortellini & ravioli in the freezer - so this quick & easy soup is a goer!

jacqueline said...

I love soup and sooo happy today you introduce this! I have so many recipes from you that i want to try it out. Thank you! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

Anonymous said...

Oh I have some spinach but no tortellini! Do you know if they make whole wheat tortellini? I need to try this, it sounds fabulous!

fresh365 said...

Hi Becca- Buitoni makes a whole wheat tortellini which is in the refrigerated section. I haven't seen any frozen tortellini in my local markets. Let me know if you find some.

Anonymous said...

mmm. easy, cheap and delicious looking. a girl on a budget couldn't ask for more!

Juliana said...

Love the simplicity of the soup...and looks delicious. Yummie. Great pictures!

Arwen from Hoglet K said...

This sounds nice and quick! The basil would be a lovely flavour with the cheese.

leslie said...

So simple and looks divine! The pasta soup will be a nice change!

The Depressed Yogi said...

This is FABULOUS, so easy AND includes greens! love it! Can't wait to make it once i'm better :) Thx for all your amazing recipes!!

Anonymous said...

I just finished making this and I just wanted to say thank you! I would have never thought of making this type of soup in a million years and it was so delicious and simple.

Candi said...

Yum! This looks so delicious!!!

fresh365 said...

Anon- So glad you enjoyed the soup!

Sarah said...

TASTY! I made this soup for the first time... let me tell you my boyfriend just had thirds.

Jessica Nichols said...

Wow! This is so simple and fantastic! Your blog is so awesome, I've sent the link to so many people since BYW. Keep up the great work! You're so inspiring. :)

Jessica Nichols said...

I just made this soup and it was as yummy as I thought it was going to be. The only thing is I adore spinach so next time, I will use a lot more and add it a little better later. MMMM. YUM.