3.29.2009

Indian Lentils over Rice



I love it when my friends can cook. Even better, I love it when my friends can cook something I have limited cultural experience with. Like Indian food. Having a friend from India is a huge blessing when it comes to learning the culture, discovering new spices and day-dreaming of far off places. Doesn’t hurt that she brings me back gorgeous silk scarfs each time she travels to visit her family. I look forward to home cooked Indian meals, each as delicious as the next, and I appreciate how the simple cuisine makes vegetarian eating easy. I have begged and pleaded for recipes, but because she cooks from the heart instead of a book, sometimes replicating can be a bit daunting. However, I believe I have hit this one head on.



Indian Lentils over Rice

serves 6

2 c lentils (any color you prefer)
5 c water
1 medium onion, chopped
3-4 large garlic cloves, minced
1 T fresh ginger, minced or grated
1 green chili pepper, minced
1 14-oz can tomato sauce
2 T olive oil
1 T coriander leaves
1 T ground cumin
1 t cumin seeds
1 t turmeric powder
1 t chili powder
1 T salt
15.5-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 pint light cream
large handful cilantro, chopped



In a large saucepan, combine lentils with water. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Add onion, garlic, ginger, chili pepper and tomato sauce. In a skillet, heat olive oil and add coriander, ground cumin, cumin seeds, turmeric, chili powder and. Stirring, cook 2 minutes. Add spices to the simmering lentils. Cook lentils 20-30 minutes, until tender (Mixture should be well combined, but a stew-like consistency). Add kidney beans, cream and cilantro. Stir well and cook 5 minutes, or until heated through. Serve over rice or scoop up with fresh naan.

3 comments:

Alice said...

I love to substitute yogurt for cream for all of its healthful benefits when making a creamy curry!

fresh365 said...

Hi Alice, I was really hoping to substitute yogurt in this curry, but after discussing with my friend, we realized yogurt usually curdles when added to hot dishes. Any tips?

stephanie said...

This recipe is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing it.