3.24.2009

Chickpea Curry Wrap



My decision to join a CSA last year has brought me down a wonderful, unexpected road. I could go on and on about how much I love supporting a local farmer, having access to super-fresh organic produce (if only for 6 months a year in freezing New England) and learning (a little!) about gardening. But my decision to join has also enabled me to take my cooking skills to another level and ultimately become a vegetarian. I thought I signed up for organic produce and ended up becoming a better cook and a bit altruistic. Who knew. Now before I lose you, this is really all about my love of kale and this Chickpea Curry Wrap. (No, I swear, I’m getting there...) Pre-CSA, I would buy the same vegis over and over at the market. They were “safe” vegis, that I either grew up with or had tried eating out. Kale had never crossed my path, but quickly became one of my favorite weekly pickups. Somewhere along the way, I started making this wrap. It is now one of my simple go-to recipes, and I am ever so happy they sell kale year-round, because spinach would work—but for me, it’s just not the same.



Chickpea Curry Wrap
serves 4

1 1/2 T olive oil
1/2 t cumin seeds
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 14-oz can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
1/2 c vegetable broth
2 c cooked rice
2 1/2 c kale (or other greens), chopped
1/4 c green onion, chopped
2 plum tomatoes, diced
1/2 t curry powder
1 t ground cumin
1 t ground coriander
4 pitas or wraps



Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and add cumin seeds and garlic. Cook 3 minutes, until the garlic begins to brown. Stir in the chickpeas and coat with oil. Add in the broth, bringing to a boil. Mix in the rice, greens, curry, cumin, and coriander. Cook 3-4 minutes, until the greens begin to wilt. Remove from heat and stir in the green onions and tomatoes. Serve warm in pitas or wraps.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this! this looks amazing!

→lisa said...

Erin, I went to a barbecue over the weekend and decided to make this chickpea curry wrap, since there were a number of vegetarians and one confirmed vegan in attendance.

I only made the filling and served it as a salad, and it was a *huge* hit with both the vegetarians and the meat-eaters! I also passed on the name of your blog to a few people who were raving about the salad, so maybe you'll get some new readers as well!