5.17.2009

Pear, Avocado & Spinach Salad



Every night my husband asks me what we are having for dinner and I same something strange like Brie Quesadillas with Mango, Walnuts & Scallions or Lemon Risotto with Fiddlehead Ferns. He rolls his eyes and walks away wondering why we can't just have hamburgers like normal people? Then I have to remind him I am not normal and Subway is just down the street if he prefers. Except each night when we finish dinner, he says “wow that was really good”, completely surprised. Of course this salad is no exception. The ingredients are an interesting pairing, but a delicious one that I will be revisiting again and again. The salad is substantial and works well for a simple dinner with a slice of crusty bread drizzled with olive oil. But depending on who you are serving it to, you may want to make it a side, with say, hamburgers.



Pear, Avocado & Spinach Salad
adapted from Bon Appétit . serves 4

1/3 c olive oil
1/4 c seasoned rice vinegar
juice of one lime
1 T minced fresh cilantro
2 large garlic cloves, minced
pinch of cayenne pepper
6-oz baby spinach, tough stems removed

1 Anjou pear, peeled & sliced
1/2 small red onion, minced
1 avocado, peeled, pitted & cubed
1/2 c crumbled gorgonzola cheese
salt and pepper, to taste



Whisk first 6 ingredients in medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix spinach, pear, and onion in large serving bowl. Add dressing and toss. Add avocado and gorgonzola, and lightly toss. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

11 comments:

Spotted Sparrow said...

Mmm, that looks delicious. I hope I can find some nice pears at the market today.

Sarah said...

My husband does the same thing, except he says it like "what do you feel like doing for dinner tonight?" as if he doesn't know I've already planned something, or he might just whip up something himself!

simplesong said...

yum [as always]. your husband is one lucky guy ... all this yumminess on a regular basis!?

leslie said...

YUMMY! Will be making this ASAP!!! hilarious husband story :)

alisa said...

Hi!

I just found your blog via Hardaker and Pope vie Lobster and swan, and I just wanted to tell you how much I love it (your blog, that is!) so far! Such lovely photos and delicious-sounding recipes!

Thanks for the inspiration:0)

Chocolate and Steel said...

I made this! It was so delicious. I didn't have spinach so I just used romaine. I'm making it again tonight with spinach. mmmmmm!

stacy*day said...

This was fabulous!
We quite a bit less red onion than called for (about half) + light on the dressing...
It was perfect!
Can't wait to have again tomorrow night.

Rachel said...

This salad is one of the best I've had in a really long time ... I've had it once a week since you posted it! I've passed it on to a few people too and they loved it just as much as I did ... thanks so much! Another spring/summer staple to add to the mix!

fresh365 said...

So glad you enjoyed in Rachel! It's a new favorite of mine too!

aunt kate said...

Made this salad tonight and it was scrumptious! Thanks for the great blog. I love your recipes and photos. I work with your mother-in-law Terri who told me about your blog (she is very proud!) I am reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (by Barbara Kingsolver) right now and I love the philosophy of eating locally grown foods so your recipes are perfect! Looking forward to trying more of your recipes (I picked up some fiddleheads today:) soon.

fresh365 said...

aunt kate- so glad you enjoyed the salad! I have heard quite a bit about that book and it sounds very interesting. Good luck with the fiddleheads (they are so fun!) and hi to Terri!