4.16.2009

Brie Quesadillas with Mango, Walnuts & Scallions



At the beginning of the month, I made a very similar quesadilla with Brie, caramelized onions and papaya. I was so excited for it, except it turns out I don’t love papaya (which of course I figured out after I started eating it). I knew it had potential and I was determined to make it work with mangoes. Mangoes not only have a milder taste, but a firmer texture—both of which work better with a strong, soft cheese like Brie. After seeing this recipe in Rachel Ray’s magazine, I changed up the whole quesadilla, too avoid the monotony of too-many-Brie-quesadillas-in-one-month. However I am dying to try a Brie, mango and caramelized onion combination. Hmm...next month?



Brie Quesadillas with Mango, Walnuts & Scallions
adapted from Rachel Ray . serves 4

8 whole wheat tortillas
1 small wheel Brie cheese (or Camembert), sliced
1/4 c walnuts, chopped
1 mango, peeled and sliced
4 scallions, chopped
pepper
olive oil



Preheat oven to 400F. Arrange four tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet and cook 2 minutes, until they begin to brown. Place 5 or 6 slices Brie on the tortillas and top with walnuts. Cook 3-5 minutes, until cheese begins to melt and walnuts are toasted. Top with mango slices and all, except 2 T, scallions. Sprinkle with pepper. Cover each quesadilla with an additional tortilla. Cook 3 minutes, until top tortilla is golden brown. Let cool and cut into fours. Arrange on serving platter and top with a drizzle of olive oil and 2 T scallions.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

hi, i'm visiting from blogging your way.

what a beautiful blog. everything looks delicious! i'm going to have to try some of these recipes. :)

celine said...

My oh my ... definitely have to try this one! I hope I don't mess it up!

Joyce said...

Oh I so.... have to try this one- I LOVE brie, mango and quesadillas!!

Christina said...

Holy cow, these recipes all look so delicious! The next time someone asks me "well what the heck do you eat if you don't eat meat?" I'm going to send them here!

Anonymous said...

this looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Made this one a few months ago to great delight. Making it again tonight for my vegetarian girlfriend. Thank you for the great recipes!

NB said...

Do you think frozen mango would work for this? Or would it make the quesadilla soggy?

fresh365 said...

niti.bagchi- So sorry for the delayed response, somehow this commment never made it to my inbox...? Anyhow I think you could try the thawed mangos- just slice them thin and press out any excess juice.