6.09.2009

Asian Inspired Noodles



Any recipe with noodles and crisp vegis tossed in a peanut-Asian sauce has my name written all over it. But, in addition to being particularly tasty, this recipe can easily be made ahead which is perfect for summer entertaining. I like to chop the vegis and make the dressing the night before, storing in the fridge. Shortly before guests arrive, I boil the pasta then toss it all together, sprinkling with peanuts. It can be served warm, room temp or cold (mmm…leftovers), so it’s nearly infallible! It does look like a lot of ingredients, but upon further inspection you will see that over half of them are used to make the dressing—so don’t get nervous! If you find yourself with different vegis on hand, feel free to mix and match. Slivered carrots, snow or snap peas would be great additions. Or try a bit of pan-fried tofu for added protein!



Asian Inspired Noodles
adapted from Bon Appétit . serves 4

dressing
1/3 c fresh orange juice
the zest of 1 orange
2 T fresh lime juice
the zest of 1 lime
1/3 c creamy peanut butter
2 T rice vinegar
1 t sesame oil
1 t soy sauce
2 T chopped peeled fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 t crushed red pepper flakes, divided
1/4 c canola oil (or vegetable oil)

noodles
8 oz noodles (I used thin spaghetti)
2 c (loosely packed) mixed baby greens
1 small head of bok choy, coarsely chopped
1 small cucumber, coarsely chopped
1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
3 scallions, chopped
1/3 c chopped fresh cilantro
2 T chopped fresh mint
1/2 c roasted salted peanuts
salt and pepper, to taste

In a blender, add all dressing ingredients (including 1 t crushed red pepper), except oil. Puree until smooth. With blender running, slowly add oil through opening in the lid. Can be made up to one day ahead (store in the fridge).

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add noodles and cook until al dente. Transfer to a colander and rinse with cold water to stop cooking. Drain well. Cut noodles crosswise in 2 to 3 places.

In large bowl, add greens, bok choy, cucumber, red pepper, scallions, cilantro, and mint. Add 1 teaspoon red pepper, dressing and noodles, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with peanuts and season to taste with salt and pepper.

12 comments:

melinda said...

yum! i am also in love with peanut sauces.

we also just tried the spicy two-cheese penne with garlic thyme breadcrumbs...so good, i can't get enough of pasta with a kick.

City Chic Country Mouse said...

my mouth is watering! thanks for sharing another recipe to inspire me in the kitchen. this is going on my list to try out.

Dana said...

I'm with you - this is the kind of thing I could eat each and every day and never tire of. I'm always looking for new ways to make it!

Candi said...

Oh my this looks so good! YUM!!!

Jacqueline said...

Ohh Yummie yummie..i love peanut saurces too. Love! Have a lovely merry happy mid-week and love to you!!

Cori said...

Pretty, yummy AND healthy! Winning combo, if you ask me :) I put a sauce like this over red cabbage, carrots, bell peppers, and green onions for an Asian Slaw. Me likey.

Anonymous said...

My daughter is allergic to peanuts & sesame what would be a good substitute? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Ann

foodcreate said...

Mouthwatering Asian noodles great for sunday brunch~~
Thanks for sharing your recipe:)
"Join our growing food community and submit your heirloom recipe for all the world to share"

Welcome~~~
http://foodcreate.com

fresh365 said...

Cori- That slaw sounds so good!

Anon- you could easily leave out the sesame oil without altering the results too muvch. As for the peanuts, that is a different story…. If your daughter is not allergic to cashews (or almonds), I would use them instead. Toast a cup of raw cashews and then puree them in the blender to make a paste before adding the other ingredients. I would add a few tablespoons of coconut milk also. You are really going for a creamier dressing so it will stick to the noodles/vegis. Another thought is adding a bit of tofu instead of nuts to thicken the sauce up (about 1/2 c). Either way, taste the dressing, and add more garlic, salt, coconut milk, etc to your liking. Let me know how it turns out!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Oooh I can't wait for my CSA! It's a lot of cilantro at first so I'll need recipes to use it up! This one looks so good.

simplesong said...

i made this last night + it was a hit. thank you!

Anonymous said...

I'll try the tofu and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the suggestions. I've also passed your blog along to my CSA, I thought others might enjoy your recipes too! Ann