6.07.2009

Tri-Color Radish Crostini



Tuesday, was my first CSA pickup of the season and I was giddy with anticipation all day waiting to see what the week would bring, and thrilled that now I know exactly where my vegis are coming from. Tuesday nights are spent brainstorming recipe ideas and cleaning the vegis. The first week I received lettuce last season, I was discouraged by how dirty it was. But quickly a huge smile came over my face and I thought, It’s so dirty! That’s amazing—it’s SO fresh! It’s quite a wonderful feeling to know your vegis were hand-picked that day. Later in the season, members can go directly to the fields to retrieve beans, cherry tomatoes and the like. It’s a great experience, as long as you remember your bug spray (it IS an organic farm!). Some weeks I forget, but power through anyhow. Must. Get. Cherry. Tomatoes. Must. Fill. Basket. Nothing a little calamine lotion can’t fix.



As it is now June I want to share with you a great menu inspired by this week’s pickup of radishes, bok choy and mixed greens. Today’s recipe just may be my new favorite appetizer. I made 12 and ate 7 while waiting for my husband to come home from work (oops! Don’t tell!). I’ve always viewed radishes as a somewhat useless salad ingredient, but now I have a whole new respect for them.



Tri-Color Radish Crostini
serves 4-6 as an appetizer


1 loaf French bread, cut into 20 thin slices (apx 1/4" thick)
cream cheese (goat cheese may be nice to try as well…)

1 small bunch radishes, sliced very thin

8 chives, chopped
olive oil

salt and pepper, to taste


Place bread slices on a cookie sheet. Spread each slice with cream cheese. Top with radish slices and chopped chives. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil 2 minutes, until edges are golden brown. Serve immediately.

15 comments:

Dana said...

That is the perfect use for those gorgeous radishes. We get them at our farmer's market and I never quite know how to make them shine. This is a terrific and simple idea.

Cookie Cutter said...

I've never really been a fan of radish but I'm loving the colours here! This might just change my mind :)

Jacqueline said...

Wow this look really really yummie! I am a huge fan of radish! Hope you had a good weekend and love to you!

Anonymous said...

Radishes are under rated. It looks great

Marie said...

Mmm, I used to hate radishes, but they're growing on me, even in salads. This does sound good and I agree the colours are lovely.

Early said...

Looks like they will taste great. I will try this recipe using my garlicboss and add garlic flavor;)

Lucy C said...

This looks so good, and I love the idea of goats cheese {one of my all time favourites). Thanks for sharing.

Seana said...

this is great! My friend just got radishes in her CSA and didn't know what to do with them (they're not big radish fans) so I forwarded it on to her! I didn't get any radishes in my CSA box this last week, didn't care before, but now I'm jealous! :) Thanks for the recipe!

fresh365 said...

Early- I love the idea of adding garlic!

Seana- I am hoping I get more this week too!

Cori said...

mmm... I love radishes. I bet this would be good with that specialty chive cream cheese. Looks delish and super easy, my favorite two things!

Unknown said...

Aren't CSAs awesome :) Ours goes the entire year I just love it!! Your site is amazing. Thanks for sharing :)And thanks for stopping my my blog too.

Liz said...

Ooooh I am going to try these tonight. HipHostess got me started with fresh bread, butter, and radish sandwiches, and I've been smitten with radishes since!

Juliana said...

Such an interesting combination of ingredients...the crostini look so delicious and coloful. Great as an appetizers. Nice pictures!

Unknown said...

We got radishes today I am making this tomorrow!

loves rugs :) said...

that looks amazing! I love your photography by the way!