5.27.2009

Stuffed Vidalia Onions



I have been waiting ever so patiently for Vidalia onions to arrive at the market. With their mild taste, I knew they would be perfect to stuff. And I was right. And I just love it when I’m right. I played off the sweet taste, by adding a tart green apple, salty toasted bread and of course pine nuts for an essential crunch. This is a great vegetarian main dish and a perfect way to enjoy the short season of Vidalias. And really, stuffed anything is quite fun!




Stuffed Vidalia Onions

serves 4

4 Vidalia onions
4 T olive oil
2 slices wheat bread, cut into 1/2" cubes
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 c pine nuts
2 celery stocks, diced
1 green apple, peeled, cored and diced
1/4 c vegetable broth
2 c chopped spinach
1/4 t salt
1/8 t pepper

Preheat oven to 425F. Trim the root off each onion and a 1/2" from the top. Peel outer skins and wash. Using a melon baller, scoop out the inside of each onion, leaving at least a 1/4" wall. Discard of onion insides, or save for another use. Place the four onion shells upright in a square baking pan, add a 1/2" water to the bottom of the pan, and cover with tin foil. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, carefully take off tin foil, and pour water out of bottom of pan/shells.

In a large frying pan, heat oil. Add bread and stir well, coating with oil. Cook, 3-4 minutes until bread begins to brown. Add garlic and pine nuts, stirring 2 minutes. Add more olive oil if needed and stir in celery and apple. Cook 2 minutes and add vegetable broth, spinach, salt and pepper. Stir 1-2 minutes until spinach begins to wilt and broth is absorbed.

Spoon filling into each onion shell. Return to oven and cook 10-15 minutes, until heated through.

9 comments:

Pretty Neat Designs said...

You couldn't be more correct - stuffed anything is fun. These onions look uh-may-zing! I have vegetarian friends coming for dinner soon and I can't wait to try these. Thanks!

the Eclective said...

Those look amazing, I never thought to stuff onions!

Anonymous said...

looks good. i've never had a stuffed onion. i like the idea of apple stuffed in there too. your husband/friends are very lucky to have you to make yummy food for them! please adopt me!

MsGourmet said...

I love to stuff fruit & veggies, but have never stuffed an onion. Thanks for sharing this recipes I look forward to trying it out!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Those are so cool looking! I never thought to stuff onions. Terrific.

→lisa said...

Wow! And I won't end up with crazy onion breath? I am inclined to love anything with pinenuts in it, and onions and apple are such an interesting combination (like in stuffing at Thanksgiving) Mmmmm...

++ off-topic: I saw these things at the farmers market last week, "ramps." They look sort of like a cross between a scallion and a leek. Have you ever cooked with them? Can they be substituted for leeks or green onions? I was just curious about them.

You're my food guru now, in case you were wondering ;)

Jacqueline said...

That looks soo amazing and i wanna try to make it! :) Have a lovely merry happy weekend and love to you!

fresh365 said...

Hi Lisa- Yes, no onion breath! Funny you bring up ramps, as I was hoping to get my hands on them in the next few weeks. They can be substituted for leeks or scallions, but beware as they are extremely pungent (an onion-garlic cross), so you will get onion breath with these!

Hayley said...

These look beautiful! I've always wanted to try a stuffed onion, when I saw Martha do them. Thanks for the reminder!