5.20.2009

Vegetable Cashew Stir Fry



I want to share with you one of my favorite simple recipes, this Vegi Cashew Stir Fry. I have made it a countless number of times and turn to it whenever I am at a loss for what to cook, which does happen more than I would like to admit. It is colorful and comes together quickly (just do your prep work beforehand). The best part is, it is pretty hard to mess it up. I have been out of vegetable broth (used water and more salt). Forgotten the cornstarch (oops!). And swear I bought snow peas, only to find them “missing” come dinnertime (threw in some carrots instead). But if you are going to forget anything, try not to overlook the cashews. They add a wonderful crunch and are what really makes this stir fry stand out over others.



Vegetable Cashew Stir-fry
adapted from Gourmet, May 2007 . serves 4

3 T vegetable oil
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 small head broccoli, chopped
1/4 lb snow peas (apx 2 c)
1 bunch scallions, chopped (white and green parts separated)
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 T grated peeled fresh ginger
1/4 t dried red-pepper flakes
3/4 c vegetable broth
1 1/2 T soy sauce
1 1/2 t cornstarch
1 t sugar
1/2 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1/2 c salted roasted cashews
1 T sesame seeds

Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat until a drop of water evaporates immediately. Add oil, then stir fry bell pepper, broccoli, peapods, garlic, ginger, red-pepper flakes, and scallion whites until vegetables are just tender, 5 to 6 minutes. In a small bowl, stir together broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, salt and pepper. Add to vegis in wok. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in scallion greens, cashews and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

10 comments:

Juliana said...

Love the simple dishes...like the idea of adding cashews, I am sure that enhances the veggies. Nice pictures. By the way, thank you for visiting my site.

the Eclective said...

adding the cashews is a great idea! i often do stir fries but feel like it is missing something... another one i will be trying as soon as possible.

Anonymous said...

Hi, stumbled upon your blog. Just want to know how you make your vegetable broth...can you share it pls?? :)

fresh365 said...

Hi Anon- I always buy an organic vegi broth instead of making one, because well I am slightly impatient! It is one my to do list however…

alisa said...

Looks so fresh and delicious! Those colors are gorgeous:0)

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Everyone needs a go-to meal :-) Sometimes I use arrowroot instead of cornstarch. Ever try?

fresh365 said...

Hi Michelle- I have never tried arrowroot, although I hear it works great as a thickner. I will give it a try!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words! I love that the first thing I see on your site is this stir fry because I love cashews!

Candi said...

I am so glad I found your blog....I love it! Veggies are my favorite, I'm glad there is a blog dedicated to them :) Off to add you to my blog roll!

Cookie Cutter said...

Mmmm... this dish reminds me of home-cooked food. My mum loves stir-fry veges.