5.03.2009

Savory Blackberry Tart



Welcome May! I have been waiting so long for you to arrive. I hope you will bring long sunny days with warm breezes, trips to the beach with sunset picnics and nights around the fire with s'mores and sangria
. Please don't let me down. I can think of no better way to celebrate your arrival than with a menu highlighting your finest fruits and vegis.

First course will be this tart. Hopefully you already have blackberries peeking out along the edges of your yard, if not the farmer's market will have plenty in the coming weeks. Take advantage and stock up! While most recipes that call for blackberries are sweet, this savory tart will be a welcome change.



Savory Blackberry Tart
makes 8 tarts

2 puff pastry sheets, thawed
1 c part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 c grated asiago cheese
1 T chopped fresh rosemary leaves
zest of one lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
olive oil
1/2 pint blackberries



Preheat oven to 400F. Place thawed pastry sheets on a flat surface. With a 5" ring (or glass, etc) press into sheets and cut out pastry circles (each sheet should yield 4 circles). Gently press circles into muffin tins.

In a medium bowl, combine ricotta, asiago, rosemary, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix well. Spoon ricotta mixture into pastry cups. Place in preheated oven and bake 8 minutes. Remove and drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and press one blackberry into the center of each cup. Bake an additional 8-10 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool 2-3 minutes. Transfer to serving plates and garnish with blackberries.

12 comments:

Sarah said...

wondering where you buy your groceries? You say you like to eat seasonally (tough here in Boston, I know), which I try to do as well. I'm going to try your tofu recipe below-I'm hoping it will get me over my fear of tofu! Such a fear that I don't even have it on my list of this I want to like, over on my (new!) blog, fussytofoodie.wordpress.com!

JennyLee said...

These look amazing!

fresh365 said...

Hi Sara- I like to shop at Whole Foods whenever possible. They always have a huge selection of the freshest seasonal produce and they let you know where it is coming from. From May-Oct however I get 90% of my vegis from my CSA and farmer’s markets. I just updated the “what’s in season?” section on the right nav which has additional info about eating seasonal. Good luck with the tofu!

The Depressed Yogi said...

YUM my mouth is watering!!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

How lovely they are! I have a serious ode to spring recipe I have to post tomorrow. Love this season despite the allergies!

Anonymous said...

Mmm yum - these look divine! I think you should move in next door!

Nicole said...

please adopt me. i am hungry and would happily help you eat these!

Juliana said...

Wow, these tarts look great! Love the berries. Great pictures.

Lisa Hebden said...

Hey Fresh 365,
Thanks for the compliment on my blog!

Yours looks lovely and fresh itself, nevermind the insanely tasty looking treats. I've bookmarked you!

Lisa

the Eclective said...

this looks wonderful. my little guy would love these, hes all about blackberries right now. yet another recipe that i MUST try. love it... thanks!

Alana said...

just looking at the picture of that tart made my mouth water!

Kim J. said...

This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing this fab recipe -- I can't wait to try it!