Substitutions


The following are substitutions I often make when I am out of a particular item, do not care for its taste, or am trying for a healthier dish. As this list is a work in progress, please feel free to comment, and I will add them as I see fit. These substitutions are general guidelines, and I suggest you use your best judgment or better yet, your taste buds, as I take no responsibility for a ruined meal!


cilantro OR coriander OR parsley
1 jalapeno OR 1 t red pepper flakes
3 t fresh herbs = 1 t dried herbs (3:1 ratio for fresh to dried)
1 clove garlic = 1/8 t garlic powder
2 large diced tomatoes (2 c) = 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
sugar OR agave nectar OR honey OR maple syrup
vegetable broth OR water + salt
cream OR sour cream OR yogurt (go slow, as yogurt curdles easily when added to hot foods)
cream OR pureed white beans OR tofu (works well in soup to reduce fat, but add consistency)
almonds OR pecans (different taste, same crunch)


No comments: