5.24.2009

Twice-Baked Potatoes with Rosemary and Feta



It’s Memorial Day weekend here in the US which means the official kick off to summer and barbecuing. So, while these potatoes can be enjoyed all year long in the oven, they are easy to wrap in foil and throw on the grill along with whatever you are cooking up this weekend. The key to success is the double cooking which allows the edges to brown to a nice crunch. In fact, I used tiny 1” potatoes for a bigger crunch-to-potato ratio, but as you know I have a thing for tiny foods. Any size red potatoes will work great however. As far as taste is concerned, I personally like to smother them in olive oil and salt, but well, I also have a thing for olive oil and salt, so please do as you prefer.

Twice-Baked Potatoes with Rosemary and Feta

10-15 tiny or 6-8 medium red potatoes
olive oil
1/2 c crumbled feta cheese
3 T fresh rosemary leaves
salt and pepper, to taste

To bake: Preheat oven to 450F. Scrub potatoes and poke 2-3 holes in each with a fork. Place hole side up, in a single layer, on a baking sheet. Drizzle 2-3 T olive oil over potatoes. Bake 45-50 minutes until fork can be inserted easily. Remove baking sheet from oven, and cut an X in each potato with a sharp knife. With a clean kitchen towel, push the top of each potato until it opens (it will look messy). Drizzle each potato with a substantial amount of olive oil. Sprinkle with feta cheese, rosemary leaves, salt and pepper. Return to oven and bake 15-20 minutes until edges and cheese are golden-brown and crunchy.

To grill: Heat grill to medium-high. Scrub potatoes and poke 2-3 holes in each with a fork. Place hole side up, in a single layer, on tin foil. Drizzle 2-3 T olive oil over potatoes. Place another sheet of tin foil on top, and fold in sides to seal. Grill 25-30 minutes until fork can be inserted easily. Remove foil packets from grill, place on a flat surface and open foil carefully. Cut an X in each potato with a sharp knife. With a clean kitchen towel, push the top of each potato until it opens (it will look messy). Drizzle each potato with a substantial amount of olive oil. Sprinkle with feta cheese, rosemary leaves, salt and pepper. Return to grill (in unsealed packets) 5 minutes until edges and cheese are golden-brown and crunchy.

19 comments:

Karine said...

looks so good. I will definitly try it.

melinda said...

this is so perfect, i'm on this feta kick lately.

makes for a great BBQ side dish.

Alana said...

Yummmmmmmmmmy. This looks so great. I will for sure be trying this one.

escapade said...

Perfect - I was about to make twice baked potatoes tonight. A little menu adjustment and now I'm making these! :)

JennyLee said...

Could your recipes get any better!?! Yum!

Spotted Sparrow said...

Those look amazing. I'm going to try them this week.

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Mmmmm I can taste those through that beautiful photo!

LK said...

mmmmm. it is a horrible rainy day today and the thought of trying these out for dinner tonight is going to get me through - they look delish.

Pretty Neat Designs said...

I would have never thought to put feta with potatoes before! Once again, an original and delicious recipe. Thanks for sharing such great ideas.

The Depressed Yogi said...

um WOW, those look incredible!! and so easy! thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

oh yummy! (baby red) potatoes are without a doubt my favorite food, so we will definitely be trying these! thanks erin!

simplesong said...

YUM. thanks for this!

the Eclective said...

we bbq'd all weekend, this would have been such a nice side to add. it is on my list for this weekend now!

Laura said...

Oh. My. God. Those look so good! You're making me hungry :)

Jillian Frances said...

I am definitely going to try this. We eat red potatoes all the time (just oven roasted till crispy), and I have been dying for some kind of variation. This looks amazing.

Anonymous said...

I have served these twice already, once from the oven, once from the BBQ - excellent both times! Will be talking about these on my blog.

Sprouted Kitchen said...

These look so wonderful! Your site has great photography and LOVE the concept!

Very Shannon said...

Yummy! I couldn't resist adding this to our link luv roundup today.

http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2009/09/link-luv-roundup.html

Love the blog!

miss fancy pants (the bride) said...

I just made these last night and they are absolutely amazing! My fiance isn't a huge fan of potatoes, but he ate 3 entire large potatoes when I made them with this recipe. Thanks so much!