4.21.2009

Chickpea & White Bean Patties over Arugula



A few weeks ago at Borders, I bought Jack Bishop’s cookbook, A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen. I actually went in looking specifically for another cookbook, but after a quick look at this I knew I had to have it right away (some call it impulse shopping, I call it knowing what I want). Apparently Jack and I are on the same wave-length because he arranges his dishes, and the contents of this book, by season. Not that it is a new concept, just one that that I live by and enjoy. Twice now after flipping through the book (which I find wonderful, despite the lack of photos—which is a frustration I have with MOST cookbooks, so don’t mind me), the chickpea patties have caught my eye. If you have never tasted a chickpea patty, honestly you are really missing out—vegetarian or not. They are a great healthy alternative to a burger and quick to pull together. But like anything, I encourage you to experiment. Don’t like cilantro? Substitute parsley. No red onions? Try scallions. Like it spicy? Add sriracha or a jalapeno. Make it your own. Step outside the (recipe) box and you will undoubtedly make a meal you enjoy.



Chickpea & White Bean Patties over Arugula
adapted from Jack Bishop . serves 4

2 15.5-oz cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 15.5-oz can cannellini (or other white) bean, drained and rinsed
2 large garlic cloves
3 slices of a large red onion
1/3 c cilantro leaves
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 t cumin
1 t salt
1/4 c flour
1 lb arugula
olive oil
1 lemon, quartered
black pepper

Preheat oven to 400F. In a food processor, combine chickpeas, cannellini beans, garlic, onion, cilantro, red pepper flakes, cumin and salt. Blend until well combined, scraping down the sides. (Resist the urge to add water, unless the mix is exceptionally dry, as you will need to form patties.) Transfer to a bowl and stir in flour. Form 12 patties, about 3” each, and place on a baking sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes, until golden brown, flip and bake an additional 10 minutes. To serve, arrange arugula among four plates, drizzle each with olive oil and the juice of 1/4 lemon. Top with warm patties and sprinkle with black pepper.

14 comments:

Dana Treat said...

I have that cookbook and find that I don't use it all that often. I can't say why - but clearly it deserves another look. These look terrific and I never met a chickpea I didn't like.

Chelsea said...

I am going to try this recipe tonight, looks delish! Love the chickpea.

City Chic Country Mouse said...

Hello, from the decor8 blogging course. I LOVE your blog. I am picking out some new recipes to try.

Elle said...

I have made similar chickpea patties that have been dubbed 'almost nearly palatable' because of the grainy-ness of the chickpeas...I love the addition of the cannelini beans!

Lindsay & Jessica said...

Cooking by season is such a fabulous and healthy idea. I am really going to challenge myself to start!

celine said...

sooooo much better than the hummus and baby carrots that ended up being my dinner *stomach grumbles*

Elle said...

I'm a fellow student from BYW. I just found your site in the forums and I love it! Can't wait to try some of your recipes.

fresh365 said...

Dana Treat- I would def recommend revisiting the cookbook. Has some great simple recipes!

Jessica- I love to eat by season. I feel healthier doing so and get to enjoy some great vegis I might never try otherwise!

Alessandra Cave said...

Came here via ecourse and I'm loving your site and photography! Yum :)

Amy said...

I have a question about this recipe - I made it yesterday - but the batter came very moist - it wasnt dry at all so i added more flour and they came out too heavy. Should I have rinsed off the beans before mixing them?

i also added jalapeno and parsley which added a nice kick to the flavor. They were good tasting, but I feel like I did something wrong!

fresh365 said...

Hi Amy- Yes, you should have rinsed the beans before adding them. I am going to update the recipe right now to reflect this! This has happened to me before with other patties when adding too much water etc, and it’s best not to add more flour (they become doughy, yuck) but instead to cook them longer in the oven, which will dry them out a bit. Thank you for the feedback and for catching my mistake!

Amy said...

Thank you so much for clarifying - can't wait to make some more!

stacy*day said...

First recipe, first comment, but not the last!
Just had these for dinner tonight + they were incredible.
We were actually in bit of a sammich mood, so we added to real moist bread, added some homemade chipotle aioli, topped w/the arugula + dished up next to your Pear, Avocado & Spinach Salad (http://budurl.com/4vnu)... It was all so good we wanted more!
We did have to bake a little longer than the recipe + of course, we always use dry beans (never can).
But I don't think that would have affected the bake time.
Regardless, they were worth a little extra wait time!
Thank you!! Can't wait to try more recipes...

fresh365 said...

So glad you enjoyed Stacy!