6.15.2009

Spicy Garlic Greens with Cannellini Beans



I completely underestimated this simple, nutritious dish, thinking my husband would never eat it. He grilled chicken and opted to try this as a side, but within minutes, he was up for seconds, and then eying my plate as I finished up the last few bites. Go figure.



Yes, greens do get a bad rap for being boring and tasteless, but sauteed with a few simple ingredients, these greens shine. The best part is, you probably already have dinner-worthy greens in your fridge without even realizing it. You know the "tops" of the beets or radishes you cut off and throw away when preparing the vegis? Those greens are perfect for this dish. I used beet greens, turnip greens and spinach, but feel free to experiment with kale, mustard greens or broccoli rabe. Excluding parsnip greens, every vegetable green is edible and an excellent way to get another meal out of your fresh vegis.



Spicy Garlic Greens with Cannellini Beans
adapted from Bon Appétit . serves 4


4-5 T olive oil
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
8-10 c packed greens, stems removed, large pieces coarsely chopped
1 c vegetable broth
15-oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 t Sherry wine vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste

Heat 4 T oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring until garlic is golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Add greens, stirring to coat with oil, until greens begin to wilt. Add vegi broth and simmer until greens are tender, 5-7 minutes. Add beans, simmer until beans are heated through and liquid is almost absorbed, about 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with remaining 1 T oil, if desired.

9 comments:

Dana said...

I'm about to sign up for a CSA (when I can figure out which one) and I know there will be a lot of greens in my future. I'll be sure to make this - I love beans and greens together.

Sprouted Kitchen said...

yum, two fave foods, beans and greens!

Cooking With Dia said...

You have a great blog here! I love the layout, pictures and food!

April said...

I think I'm going to try this one! Yuuum.

We make at least 1 vegetarian meal each week, and so many of your recipes are my list!

LkM Nutrition said...

Yummm! I am looking forward to trying this! I am always looking for more interesting ways to serve up the dark greens.

Juliana said...

Wow, this dish looks so good...great vegetarian dish...yummie! Nice pictures as well.

Estelle Hayes said...

Made this last night for my husband and he loved it. I plan on making the brie for my girlfriends this friday night.

Love your photography. Just beautiful.

→lisa said...

Q: are mustard greens on the bitter side? I'd like to make this tonight, but I know that my boyfriend doesn't like "bitter" greens like kale and broccoli rabe. I saw mustard greens at my local market and was curious about them.

I might have to stick with spinach or collard greens, which I know he likes...

fresh365 said...

Hi Lisa- Yes mustard greens are bitter. I did a combo of mustard and spinach which I didn't find bitter. That may work for you & your bf is you put a bit more spinach though... let me know how it works out!