2.19.2009

Lemon-Rice Soup



I previously worked with a Greek woman who made this fabulous lemon-rice soup. She would make a large batch and bring it in to work for everyone to enjoy (it was a small company!). Upon my first taste, I feel in love with the simple, lemony soup. I found myself craving this soup the other day, but fast forward 4 years, a new job and one big move later and I have long since lost the recipe. But, recreating an old favorite for my palette is half the fun. I stuck with the essentials—fresh squeezed lemon, creamy Arborio rice and a light vegetable broth. Replaced the egg with silken tofu for a healthier vegan alternative. And topped it off with lemon zest and fresh cracked black pepper. Served with a crusty French bread drizzled with olive oil, it could not be more satisfying.



Lemon-Rice Soup
serves 4

6 c vegetable broth
1 c Arborio rice
1/2 c fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/2 lb silken tofu
the zest of 1 lemon
fresh cracked black pepper

In a large stockpot, bring vegetable broth to a boil. Add Arborio rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until rice is cooked. Blend the lemon juice and tofu until well combined. Add to the stockpot, stir and continue to simmer five minutes. To serve, ladle into soup bowls and top with lemon zest and black pepper.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Oooh that looks delicious. My dh strongly prefers egg to tofu though, how would you make that substitution?

fresh365 said...

Hi Heather- You can def replace the tofu with eggs. You would whisk the lemon juice together with 3 eggs and then slowly add to the pot. Make sure to whisk continuously when adding the lemon/egg mixture to the pot, so the eggs blend instead of cook. Have fun and let me know how it turn outs!

lina said...

i want to make this! but where would i find that rice? would they have it at safeway or raleys? also could i use a different rice perhaps?

fresh365 said...

Hi Lina- You would be able to find Arborio rice at most supermarkets. Also Whole Foods or other gourmet food stores will have it. I would not sub it, as Arborio rice has a high strach content which give you the creamy texture you desire here (just like in a risotto).