6.18.2009

Curried Red Lentil, Swiss Chard & Chickpea Soup



Dear Mother Nature, Apparently you did not get the memo that it is June. JUNE! Because its rainy and cold. And according to the all-knowing Al Roker, we will not see the sun again for a week! A WEEK! It’s 60 degrees. Not 80 degrees like I have ever-so-patiently been waiting for since last September. Through ice storms and piles and piles of snow. You are lucky I have the perfect soup recipe for my swiss chard. And an electric blanket. Please get your act together. I’m not gonna deal with this crap come July.



Curried Red Lentil, Swiss Chard & Chickpea Soup
adapted from Bon Appétit . serves 4

3 T olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large bunch Swiss chard, chopped, stems and leaves separated
5 t curry powder
1/2 t cayenne pepper
2 t salt
1 c baby carrots,
coarsely chopped
4 c vegetable broth
2 1/2 c water
1 1/2 c red lentils
15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
plain yogurt

In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and swiss chard stems, sauté until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in curry, cayenne and salt. Add swiss chard leaves, carrots, broth and water, stir, and bring to a boil. Add lentils and chickpeas. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 12 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. To serve, ladle into soup bowls and top with yogurt.

7 comments:

Dana said...

That is heaven in a bowl for me. Perfect spices and two of my favorite things, chickpeas and red lentils. So healthy and so tasty!

simplesong said...

YUM. this would have been perfect for us this week too...its been rainy and cool all week!

Courtney said...

i know! i mean, wasn't it supposed to be global WARMing?

Jillian Frances said...

I love lentil soup. I have been making the version from 101cookbooks for the last year, and it is really tasty. This looks like a nice variation to mix things up.

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

3 of my favorite ingredients in one dish! I hear ya about the cold weather...sigh...

the Eclective said...

I made this last night for my family and it was a huge hit!

styleSWOON said...

That sounds amazing! Can't wait to try it!!