6.25.2009

Flatbread with Gorgonzola, Caramelized Onions & Arugula



You know how sometimes you eat something that is so good you can’t stop eating it, although you know you are going to make yourself sick, but you still don’t care? For me, that is this flatbread. I am lucky I am skilled at one-handed photography, as my other hand was preoccupied with shoveling flatbread slices in my mouth. And forget about “action” shots. The first 30 minutes I was in a caramelized-onion-induced-coma and didn’t know what was going on.




Flatbread with Gorgonzola,
Caramelized Onions & Arugula
serves 3-4

1 T olive oil
3 T butter
3 medium onions, sliced very thin
3/4 c water
1/2 t dry active yeast
2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t salt
4 c arugula, loosely packed
1 c gorgonzola cheese
black pepper
, to taste

In a sauté pan, add olive oil and butter, over medium-low heat, until butter has melted. Add onions and stir well. Let onions cook 40-50 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are deep brown (reduce heat to low or add an additional 1 T butter if onions begin to burn). Set aside.

Preheat oven to 500F. In a small bowl, add water and dry active yeast. Stir well, and set aside 3-4 minutes until yeast has dissolved. In a food processor, add flour and salt. Blend. Through the hole in the cover, slowly pour in the water-yeast. Dough will quickly form into a bowl. Transfer dough to a floured surface and divide into two equal size balls. If needed, knead dough until smooth, 1 minute. Roll each ball out until very thin, but not transparent. Transfer to individual baking sheets.

Bake dough 4-5 minutes, until beginning to brown. Remove from oven. Top each dough with a drizzle of olive oil, arugula, caramelized onions and gorgonzola cheese. Bake 5-7 minutes, until edge begin to brown. To serve, slice flatbread and sprinkle with black pepper, to taste.

19 comments:

melinda said...

what a great combination! gorgonzola is so tasty.

Dana said...

So, no rising time on the dough? How awesome is that? I made a pissladiere this week and was thinking that the puff pastry kind of detracted from the deliciousness of the onions. I think I'm more of a flatbread kind of girl.

Pretty Neat Designs said...

This looks so yummy I want it for breakfast! But I'll probably wait and make it later. Probably...

Courtney said...

this is the ultimate comfort food to me. when my husband is out of town, i make something very similar and eat the whole damn thing. yum.

great pics too.

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

That looks amazing. All your food does! Now are you cooking this just for you or for guests or what? It'd be great for a party app.

alisa said...

this looks so superb! I'm not a big fan of gorgonzola, but I'll definitely try this with chevre or feta! Thanks!

fresh365 said...

Dana- No rising time = instant gratification!

Michelle- Was I supposed to share?

Alisa- I think feta would work great!

Truly Smitten said...

Droool! I am loving your blog and all your recipes!

simplesong said...

I just love all your recipes ... YUM!

leslie said...

this looks so fabulous!!! more house guests coming so I must try it on them!!! yummy.

Laura said...

Oh my God. Yes, I know what you mean, and this looks like exactly the sort of thing I wouldn't be able to stop eating! Mmm...definitely bookmarking this one :)

eatme_delicious said...

Yum this looks extremely addictive and delicious!

Sprouted Kitchen said...

i want to shovel this in my mouth with you please? this looks so good!

Becca said...

Oh my word, this looks FABULOUS. Printing it off RIGHT NOW!

Zo said...

Looks perfect! Will be making this very soon :)

The Depressed Yogi said...

oh DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!

DK said...

WOW. The sweet with the sour on a bed of arugula and flat bread. I made this tonight and may die of happiness/fullness.

Nicole said...

i made this for a party last night and it was so good

thanks!

fresh365 said...

So glad you enjoyed it Nicole!