3.12.2009

Lettuce Wraps



I love it when I get the stamp of approval on dinner. It is sometimes a challenge to please both the vegetarian and the meat-loving husband. And let’s be honest, since I’m doing the cooking, I usually please me. But these lettuce wraps got a big, “Can we PLEASE have these more often?” (Granted I did bake some sliced chicken marinated in peanut sauce for his.) But my answer is yes, yes we can have these a lot more often! They are healthy, super easy and give me an excuse to eat peanut sauce in large quantities. Plus it’s a great clean-out-the-fridge meal. Use what you have on hand for vegis—carrots, cucumber, mushrooms, broccoli and peppers all work great. Throw in noodles or pan-fried tofu. And top with your favorite asian-inspired sauce. Voila. Guilt free tacos.



Lettuce Wraps
serves 4

2 oz cellophane noodles, cooked
4 scallions, chopped
8 baby carrots, julienned
1 green pepper, chopped
1 hot red pepper, minced
1 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 head romaine lettuce, washed
1 c peanut sauce (or any asian-inspired sauce)
1/8 c sliced almonds, toasted

Arrange noodles, scallions, carrots, pepper, hot pepper and cucumber on a serving platter. Pour peanut sauce into a small bowl. To assemble, take one leaf romaine and top with noddles and vegis. Drizzle with peanut sauce and finish with toasted almonds.