7.08.2009

Roasted Beet Salad with Olive Croutons & Ricotta Salata



The sun came out for FOUR WHOLE DAYS here in Massachusetts and I spent the time at my family’s beach house taking in as much as possible. The fourth of July is always one of my favorite times of year at the cape and this year was no exception, as a full house of family and friends joined us for the celebration of America, and my dad’s 60th birthday. The weekend consisted of boat rides, sun tanning, cookouts, cocktails, fireworks and A LOT of laughs. I forgot about emails and couldn’t remember which day it was. And it didn’t really matter. And that was nice. Really, really nice.



And just when I thought the weather had turned over a new leaf for July, we returned home to a hail storm, and people canoeing down our street because a river overflowed. Seriously. However, flood or no flood I HAD to pick up my CSA share. Among this week's bounty, I was greeted with a large bunch of red beets. But I assure you, the beets alone were worth the adventure.



Roasted Beet Salad with Olive Croutons & Ricotta Salata
adapted from Gourmet . serves 4

Salad
4-6 large beets, stems trimmed to 3/4"
6 c packed endive (or baby arugula)
1/4 lb ricotta salata, sliced thin or crumbled

Croutons
2 T kalamata olive paste
1 T olive oil
1 loaf french bread, sliced lengthwise

Vinaigrette
1/3 c finely chopped red onion
1 1/2 T whole-grain mustard
1 1/2 T white wine vinegar
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 1/2 t soy sauce
1/4 t salt
3 T olive oil



Preheat oven to 425F. Wrap beets tightly in foil and roast 1 hour. Carefully unwrap, and when cool, rub off skins with a paper towel and discard. Slice beets.

Place french bread on a baking sheet on spread with olive paste. Cut into 1" cubes and drizzle with olive oil. Broil 2-4 minutes until golden brown.

In a small bowl add onion, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, soy sauce, and salt. While whisking, add oil in a slow stream.

To assemble, top endive with beets, croutons and ricotta salata. Drizzle with vinaigrette and season to taste with salt and pepper.

15 comments:

City Chic Country Mouse said...

I was just thinking about beets today when I was on my way to a farmer's market, so I am excited you posted this! Next week I will pick some up and try this out. H Glad to hear you had a nice weekend, I love when I am lost in good times and forget what day it is, that's the best!

Dana said...

So sorry to hear about your weather woes. I always assure people that after July 5th, the weather in Seattle is guaranteed awesome, except for this year. Clouds and temps in the 60's since we got back from the vacation. ANYWAY, I have made that exact same salad lots of times and it is a true favorite of mine. Thanks for reminding me about it! My husband hates beets so I need to make it while he is away these next few weeks. :)

Pretty Neat Designs said...

Looks delicious as usual, but I am so happy to have this method for roasting beets. I was trying to use a glass baking dish, and they never turned out that great. Thanks!

Sara said...

We got beets in our CSA this week, too. I can't wait use this recipe!

Amanda Nicole said...

I recently discovered roasted beats in a salad, and it made me wonder what took me so long. Soooo good.

The Depressed Yogi said...

oh man i'm so jealous! lately i've been craving a summer on the east coast, places like cape cod and martha's vineyard and nantucket. that's so not my life, but oh, how i wish it were!

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm I love beets and I love the sound of that dressing - sounds perfect!

escapade said...

This looks amazing - I'm going to try this for lunch tomorrow!

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

Mmmm roasted beets are delicious! Fingers crossed for more beautiful days like today...

simplesong said...

YUM. love, love beets. hope you have a lovely, sun-filled weekend!

leslie said...

I love roasted beets and this recipe looks really delicious!!! Thank you.

ACH said...

This looks delicious! I can't wait to try it.

Bri said...

Lovely pictures, I'm glad that you had a fun couple of days!

lisaiscooking said...

This salad is just a great combination of flavors. Sounds perfect, and the colors are lovely together.

Nicole (Cooking After Five) said...

Roasted beets are my new favorite obsession -- this looks like a great way to use them!