3.02.2009

Harissa Chickpea Salad with Spiced Pitas



As soon as I saw this recipe I knew I had to get my hands on harissa paste. I was hoping for instant gratification instead of waiting for shipping from an online vendor, so I checked my local grocery store. No luck. Trader Joes, no. Whole Foods, nope. ugh. I gave in and ordered a jar from Dean and Deluca. And it was so worth the wait. Now I want to put this spicy paste on everything. And I am. I know I said this salad serves four, but I ate almost the whole bowl in one sitting. It was that good.



Harissa Chickpea Salad with Spiced Pitas
serves 4

for pitas
2 pita bread rounds
olive oil
chili powder

for salad
15.5 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 small seedless cucumber, chopped
1/2 small red onion, chopped
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/4 c feta cheese
1/4 c harissa paste



Slice pita bread rounds into triangles. Arrange on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with chili powder. Broil 2-3 minutes, until golden brown. Combine chickpeas, cucumber, red onion, tomatoes and feta in a large bowl. Add harissa and mix well. Scoop salad with spiced pitas and devour.

No comments: